rss
email
twitter
facebook

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Bacon Shrinkage, a Worldwide Epidemic

Do you ever wonder why when you get bacon in restaurants, it looks like this...



















...and your bacon at home looks more shriveled than George Costanza getting out of the pool?



While some restaurants put a heavy piece of metal on their bacon to keep it straight, others use a tool that you have at home: the oven.

1)Preheat your oven to 400 degrees while laying bacon out on a cooking sheet with parchment paper. I use parchment paper so I don't have to clean up the sheet - yes I'm that lazy.

2)Add as much pepper as you can handle to the bacon
3) Bake for about 15 minutes (everyone has a different oven and cooking times can vary quite a bit)
4)Throw the bacon on a paper towel to help it retain its crispiness

From 2010-04-05

5)Stop looking at it and eat it already!

This method takes more time, but if you have the patience, you'll never cook bacon any other way again!

6 comments:

@tarynrom said...

I always use tin foil too, I'm that lazy as well.

Why do extra work when you don't have to!

Paleotron said...

I agree. I'm busy enough as it is and cleaning up grease is a pain. Another great aspect of using foil or paper is that you can easily collect the grease and use it in another dish.

Ashley said...

So useful. No one has ever given me the actual directions to do bacon in the oven. Frying is a pain! Literally. My son likes to fry bacon shirtless. :)

Paleotron said...

@Ashley HAHA, I used to do the same thing then complain about getting burned! This method takes more patience, but the payoff is worth it. You'll probably have to play around with the cooking time since our oven in the new apartment cooks much faster than our old oven. Let me know how it turns out.

Dennis said...

well I'm not a fan of oven baking my bacon, i like to pan fry and utilize the delicious pork fat for cooking my eggs in. Any extra park fat i'll keep for later when cooking grass-fed steaks or for sauteing brussel sprouts and such...my 2 cents...

Paleotron said...

@Dennis I know with the parchment paper, you can easily funnel all of the pork fat into a container or pan to use for cooking, but you bring up a good point. You may get more pork fat from pan frying since the heat is more intense. I hadn't thought of that. Great point and thanks for the comment!

Post a Comment